FIRST INTERACTS COURSE on Interdisciplinary Interventional Radiotherapy
Interventional Radiotherapy (brachytherapy) offers the most conformal application form of radiation in cancer treatments. Although in the last 20 years we have seen a significant improvement in the field of interventional radiotherapy that touched in particular the “planning”, the “delivery” and surgical techniques with multidisciplinary approach, the method is underrepresented in multidisciplinary treatments. Only half of all radiotherapy centers in Europe provide brachytherapy services, and around three quarters of brachytherapy systems use afterloading delivery (1). Since interventional radiotherapy is also the most economic local dose escalation method it needs more diffusion and dedicated multidisciplinary educational programs. Today many authors talk about a new kind of brachytherapy with the use of Intensity Modulated and Image Guided dose-volume optimization: simply known as Image Adapted Interventional Radiotherapy (Image AIR). Image AIR leads to a better target volume definition with higher implant quality, which results in better normal tissue preservation and decreases acute and late toxicity as well as improving local control. Today Image AIR becomes feasible thanks to the impressive progress of three-dimensional (3D) imaging, the rapidly increasing speed and capacity of computers, and of the sophisticated techniques developed for the treatment planning.
The dose modulation potential paired with biological target imaging information opened a new era. Image AIR with imaging compatible applicators, when compared to traditional approaches, allows a more accurate delineation of GTV and CTV, as well as healthy (critical) organs; has a direct impact on treatment planning, especially as, it is possible to optimize and deliver high doses exactly to the target sub volumes. Using traditional dosimetry systems, the prescription dose is related to the geometry of the implant and not to the individual target volume as used in individual dose optimization methodology. Furthermore, interdisciplinary teamwork allows more effective patient selection, less normal tissue damage and better patient Quality of Life. There are very few
multidisciplinary educational programs in the world offering complex (theory & practice) Image AIR in all anatomic sites and in combination with latest EBRT techniques preferably for multidisciplinary teams.
The vision of the school is: “to educate Italian and foreign physicians/medical physicists in interventional radiotherapy (brachytherapy) by a multidisciplinary approach with theoretical lessons and practical exercises”. The teaching method is based on the following:
• “All-in-one-week” method. The courses will be held within one week, from Monday to Friday;
• Education on all body sites;
• Multidisciplinary board of teachers;
• Acknowledged International Brachytherapy Expert in the board;
• Close co-operation with leading industry partners in practical and research issues;
• Front teaching and small groups practical exercises in the operative room as well as
on dummies and with the latest technology treatment planning systems;
• Permanently foreign professor and alternating foreign professor.
• Front teaching
• Practical exercises on dummies or interactive session in the Operation Room;
• Treatment planning exercises on different TPS platforms;
• Web-based follow-up tutorials for TC participants.
Catholic University, Gemelli Hospital
Meeting Room Gemelli
ART “Aula Forum”
Largo Gemelli 8, Rome
Excel Hotel Roma Montemario, Roma – www.excelmontemario.it
- 1.340 euro (1635 euro VAT included) all enclosed (course, educational tools,
hotel, breakfasts, lunches, dinners, coffee-breaks and social event)
- 980 euro (1195 euro VAT included) without accomodation
Register now! Registration link